This building was designed by portuguese architects but the construction took place in Brazil for the Rio de Janeiro Great International Exhibition in 1923. Then it was dismantled, brought to Lisbon for the Portuguese Great Industrial Exhibition (1932) and called 'Palace of Exhibitions'. In 1946 it was adapted to sport events, in order to house the Hockey International Championship (1947) and called 'Palace of Sports'. Finally, in 1984 its name has changed to Carlos Lopes Pavilion as a tribute to the portuguese Olympic athlete (Marathon Gold Medal, Los Angeles).
The building is now abandoned and seems to have started falling apart but, hopefully, it will become Sports National Museum and shall open doors in 2011.